Wednesday, December 18, 2013

One Lucky Mom Indeed

Good morning. Today it is December 18 - in one week, probably close to this time, it will be Christmas morning. I love this time of year, I really do. I hope I carry this love of the season with me throughout my life, despite what curveballs life may very well throw at me. 

Lately, I've been reflecting, not surprisingly, on my kids. They are growing so quickly, I know. At times it doesn't feel that way {like when I'm annoyingly trying to find Libby in Hobby Lobby. I mean, who wants to stay with a cart while mom shops - BORING!!! - when you can run and hide from your mom and make her look, act, and run around the store looking so FUNNY!!!}. But time goes by - and it goes by quickly. So I have to take a moment to remember a few things that make me one very lucky mom:

1. My 13-year old and my 11-year old still {voluntarily} find us to say goodnight, complete with a kiss and/or a hug. I mean, really? So lucky, right? It makes me happy. We tell them it's bedtime and {after about 10 minutes of checking their phones, their Instagrams, their FB, their Snapchats} they seek us out to say goodnight to us in person. LUCKY!!!

2. Connor {who would kill me if he knew I was sharing this} still exhibits no shyness in his nakedness. I hope that doesn't sound weird - it's just - well, it makes me happy that he is still at the point where hey, it's just mom. He will grow out of that soon, I know, and will be replaced by a young man who wants his privacy and I will be out of the picture. For now, though, I still get these glimpses of this little boy who, with his toothless grin, can melt my heart. LUCKY!!!

3. So Libby is still all mine!!! ;) At four years old, I still "have" her for awhile longer. Long gone are the crib days, the staying up all night days...they have been replaced by the "Mom, I had a bad dream. Will you sleep with me for a little while?" days. She still falls asleep on the couch and I still carry her upstairs like I did when she was a baby. I still tuck her in and I still watch her sleep. LUCKY!!!

I know there are so many more things that these children bless me with each and every day. The ones I have mentioned are the ones I have taken note of recently and I wanted to capture them. I look forward to one week from today, when all of my kids will be up and ready to celebrate what will be a most glorious Christmas morning.

Yes, I am one lucky mom indeed. Merry Christmas! :)

No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}