Thursday, November 15, 2012

What do the chosen colors in YOUR home mean?

Turns out I like red. Turns out that in every single room in our home - with the exception of the kids' rooms - red is the dominant color. I wonder what this means? I'll be honest - when I changed the sheets on our bed {to a deep red} earlier this week I smiled because my bed reminds me of one of those beds you will see in a Christmas movie - decked out with reds and greens and greenery {yes, I place greenery above our bed. Christmas is in every room throughout the season. No joke.}

So I thought maybe my love for red is centered around my love of Christmas. Makes sense, right? Holidays all year round? I'd be ok with that. Then I got to thinking, maybe there is something more.

According to House Beautiful, decorating with red means this: 
"Bright red will fortify you. It is a stimulant. It promotes courage and fearlessness. {I think I'm pretty courageous}. ;) Use this color when you want to increase self-confidence. But too much red can make you feel overly excited or agitated. A little goes a long way. Try a bright red...dish of candy, picture frame, coffee-table book."

I don't think our home is OVERLY red...I've got it here and there, but I think it's a great complement to the color of our walls, which are essentially mustard, beige or dark yellow. All that look good with red. 

Moving on.

According to Color Psychology:
"The most emotionally intense color, red stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing. {hmm, I don't feel short of breath while chilling out on the couch}. It is also the color of love. In decorating, red is usually used as an accent. Decorators say that red furniture should be perfect since it will attract attention." {Perfect, huh? Well, those red nightstands in our bedroom are ones that I painted, so I can guarantee they aren't perfect!}

In any case, I have to say that because so much of our accents are red, it makes it really simple to bring the holiday scheme of red and green into our home.

HOWEVER, Chris and I just purchased a sectional for our basement and {{{GASP}}} purchased a rug that has BLUE and BROWN as its accent colors. I already panicked when thinking of redoing the basement to accommodate these new colors!! Blue?? Who decorates with BLUE??

According to House Beautiful again:
"Deep blue encourages efficiency. {Um, I did mention that the rug is in the basement, right? Where the big TV is? Where the bar is? Where the center of it all is the desire to chill out right? Not so much efficiency going on down there}. Apparently, blue will purify your thinking, so you can cut through the clutter and discover what is most important in your life. It helps you integrate the big picture with the little picture. Try a deep blue...oversize tray, wastebasket, desk lamp." 

Whatever that means.

So, no, I'm not really concerned with HOW to decorate the basement. I promise I DO have other, more important things to think about. However, it DOES enable me to accessorize...which means a shopping trip MAY be in store.

But until the couch arrives {DARN 4-6 week delivery time!!} I'm going to enjoy every seasonal nook and cranny of red in our home. And you better believe I'm gonna deck my halls from top to bottom.

:)

Just a sneak peek at some of the red accents. This isn't even half of them. You get the picture.


























No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}