Saturday, June 16, 2012

Happy 4th of July, DIY-style! :)


Yesterday, I was doing my normal online stuff - posting for Aspire Fitness, checking email, etc. and I stumbled upon the wreath above. Instantly fell in love and wanted it. But the $45 price tag - and the knowledge that I could make something very similar {which would be much more fun} prompted me to take on a holiday wreath. I've done them before, but quite honestly, had not given much thought to the 4th of July decor. It's a holiday I like, yes, but it doesn't grab my attention when it comes to decorating that other holidays do. But this year, it was going to be different. 
 

Supply list:
Two flags: $.50 each
Glitter ball sticks: $1.49 each {3}
Ribbon: On sale: 2 for $4.99. I ended up needing three of the polka dot and one of the red.
Sparkly decoration {not in photo}: $1.99
Straw wreath: $4.99 {I was going to get a foam wreath, but the 14" one was $6.99, whereas the 18" straw wreath was only $4.99. Sold}
TOTAL FOR PROJECT: $17.50 {and no tax or shipping!}




Choose the ribbon you like. We have a red door, so I didn't want red ribbon. Navy stands out a lot more. Then wrap, wrap & wrap some more. I used stick pins to hold the ribbon in place on the wreath. I used three rolls of blue ribbon on an 18" wreath. {Actually had to go back to Michaels because I originally bought two}.


I love how all of the decor looks together. Pops of red, white & blue make me smile. 


The finished product. A little different than the one on Etsy, but I like it. And I made it, so I love it even more. Another thing to note - should I decide to change this wreath, I can easily take everything off - nothing is pasted to the wreath, so I can interchange ribbon, accent decor, etc. any time I want. 



So then, I thought I'd take on the mantel. A few years ago, mom bought me this star wreath from Locust Street Marketplace in Lawrence. If you live here and haven't gone, you must. I love this store. One of my all-time favorites. Always great items and very reasonable prices. :)  


I had everything in the house for this one, so no $$ spent. Took the large mirror down - this always changes the facade of the fireplace more than anything and it always is a nice change to take it down - and placed the star wreath alongside some candles, floral vine and some flags. We typically place flags outside, and we will again this year, but I also brought them indoors. I think it turned out great. 



So there you have it - we are ready for the 4th of July a few weeks early. :) Simple things - I love em!
Enjoy your weekend!





No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}