Thursday, June 14, 2012

10-day blogging challenge...um, extended...

Day 10 - {Better late than never, right?} One confession:
If I could eat sweets without regret or knowledge that it was bad, unhealthy, would lead to high cholesterol, high blood pressure, weight gain or anything else, I would eat them 24/7. I love them. I abstain from eating them, but only because they aren't good for me. I'd eat them all the time if I could. 

:)

There. Done with the 10-day challenge, a little late. ;)

Onto other things, like the kids...

My kids are, for lack of a better term, momma's kids. All of them have been since they were little. It's not that they don't love their dad - they do. But dad isn't the one who's "blessed" with the opportunity to go everywhere with the kids {when asked, they all want to go in MOM'S car, not dad's}, take a shower with the kids calling my name, go to the BATHROOM with little ones - and not so little ones - calling "MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM, WHERE ARE YOU? MOM??? MOM??"

Yesterday, all I wanted was 5 minutes in the shower alone. I thought maybe, just maybe, I'd get it. I was beginning to enjoy my momentary shower of solitude when I heard her...or rather, her feet. When Libby runs, you hear the patter of her feet. Super fast feet that, many times, cause her to fall face first onto the floor, can be heard coming into our bedroom. I knew my moment had passed. 

"MOM? MOM!!!!! MMMMMMMOOOMMMYYYY!!! WHERE ARE YOU? ARE YOU IN THE BAFROOM? TAKING A SHOWER? MOMMMYYY!!!"

"WHAT, LIBBY? WHAT DO YOU NEEEEEEDDD?"
{She hasn't learned that when she hears me respond in certain tones, she is better off saying something like, "nevermind."

"MOM? Connor called me a butthead!"

Ok, so I'm not sure what was more disturbing - that my 2 year old is already tattling or that she, without reservation at all, spewed the word "butthead" when telling on her brother. 

Oh well...such is life. Some day, as a friend told me tonight, I will miss this. She said this as she was searching for her son's wallet. Earlier in the day, her other son's car broke down. She told to cherish the years my kids are in now, because they go away before our eyes. 

While I know that's true, I still will dream of the day when I can drive by myself, when I can shower by myself, when I can go to the BAFROOM by myself without hearing my name, over and over, no matter where I am in the house. "MOOOOOOMMMMM!!!"

Child in basement - me in bafroom - "MOOOMMMM!!"
Child outside - me inside - "MOOOOOMMMMY!!! WHERE ARE YOU?"
Child upstairs - me outside - at neighbor's house - underwater - in their pool - "MOOOOM?? WHERE ARE YOU MOMMY? MOMMY? MOMMY??? CONNOR CALLED ME A BUTTHEAD!"




No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}