Saturday, June 2, 2012

10-day blogging challenge: Day 4.

Day 4: Seven things that cross your mind a lot. 

This one seems to be a little more difficult for me. I think about a lot of things, and I worry about a lot of things, but again, in no particular order:


1. My dad.  Dad died from ALS in 2004. He never got to meet Connor or Libby, but I do believe he looks down on them from above. :) He had a profound love of music, of the beach, of being outside. He was a quiet man {I must get my desire to verbalize my thoughts from my mom} and he is missed - and thought of - often. 




2. Holding my children when they were babies. Does that sound odd? Last night, after Chris and I worked out, I sat on the deck because it was such a cool night. My mind wandered to the many, many times that Chris and I sat outside by the firepit and I was holding one of our babies, close to my chest, under a blanket. I love and miss those days. Libby still likes to cuddle, but there is something about holding a little bitty baby close to your heart while they blissfully sleep. I miss that. 

3.  Protecting my kids. This, I know, is something every parent thinks about. Seems as they get older, it's only WHAT I'm protecting them from that changes. This year, I've seen my share of mean girl crap. I'm so tired of it, and yet, all I can do is talk to my kids about it. That, and pray they have a strong sense of self worth to know that they deserve only the best. Today, someone said to me, in response to my question "Why are girls so mean?" "Because they're kids."

I don't buy that. I don't see my kids making others cry. I don't see them writing the mean texts and saying hurtful things like "I hate your {fill in the blank}" or, when asked if they want to come over, respond with a mean "Um, never!" What the hell is that about? Anyway. I can go on. But I won't. Suffice it to say that I will worry daily about my kids - right now, it's over this issue, but that will change and something will take its place. Worry. Think. Worry. Think. And worry some more. It's so fun being a parent sometimes. 

4. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle for the long term. This transcends my needs - I need to do this for my kids. I think about this daily - how to get them more active, how to help them eat better, how to better position them to comprehend the IMPORTANCE of living a healthy life. So vitally important. A good sign? Connor wanted me to train him last night. ;) Pretty funny. But I will. I'll try to go easy on him. 

5. A little less important, but still, I think of projects ALL THE TIME. I always have one brewing in my head. I'd spend a lot of my time DOING many of these projects if, well, if I had the time. But I get some done. Always love it when I do. Renew. Repurpose. Reuse. I'm all over it. 

6. Our next vacation. Sure, we celebrated 15 years in March, but I think we are due for another couples trip very very soon! ;) Don't you? 

7. The next ones are being lumped together - I can't help it. Seriously, what crosses my mind a lot? Here's a brief glimpse. 99% of it revolves around these 4 kiddos. What will this little bean be when she grows up? She is here against all odds - a post-vasectomy baby who had two knots in her umbilical cord when delivered, {!!!} it is truly a miracle that she is here. Maybe she'll be our million dollar baby. ;)


What will she be when she grows up? Will she follow her dream of being a singer? Will the sports continue and take her far? Will she always be the kind-hearted person she is now? I hope so. 





What about this guy? What will he do? What will he study? When asked what he wants to be when he grows up, he says "A worker." Someone who builds buildings. :) We shall see. 


And Abby, our oldest. What does the future have in store for this young woman who has yet to realize how beautiful she is inside and out. I can't wait till she truly knows this - she will reach for the stars and take hold. But only when she believes it to be true.  

So there you have it. :) Up tomorrow: Day 5: Six things you wish you had never done. {This could be interesting}.










 
 

No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}