Sunday, January 8, 2012

To potty train, or not to potty train

About 5 months ago, Libby was potty trained. 

Ok, well maybe not 100% potty trained, or even 50% potty trained, but she had a real INTEREST in getting potty trained. Sitting on the glorious, mini-sized porcelain throne was like heaven to her...she wanted to do it. 

All. The. Time.

But I admit - it wasn't convenient for me. Because, for instance, she would opt to pull off her diaper when we were 10 minutes late to school and then she'd want to t-a-k-e-h-e-r-t-i-m-e peeing and reading her books, singing happily as I'm pulling my hair out because the kids can't be late.

Or...it would be bedtime. And come hell or high water, I get my kids to bed at a decent hour so I can have some time SANS kids to decompress {and if you are a mom, you know that that means...do laundry, clean the kitchen, make the lunches, etc...you know, DECOMPRESS}.

But no, there was Libby - 8pm and in her pjs - ready to strip down to her cute little nakedness to - again - pee and read her books, singing happily as I'm pulling my hair out.

So I said, "forget it." Who cares if SHE was ready before her 2nd birthday - I wasn't ready.

Potty training would have to wait...for me. :)

Damn if I'm kicking myself for THAT decision. 
Because now I'M ready. 
Libby? Not so much.

"Libby, you wanna pee on the potty?"
"YEAH YEAH YEAH!"

{No, Libby, not on the bathroom floor!}

"Hey, Libby...before you get in the bath, pee on the potty, k?"
"YEAH YEAH YEAH!"

{I said IN the potty, not in your BROTHER'S ROOM!}

"Libby, you want to try to sit on the potty now?"
"YEAH YEAH YEAH!"

{Sigh. Libby you need to tell me BEFORE you have to pee. Not AS you are peeing.}

Maybe I should try these tricks:


I'm not above bribery.

Or this one: 

Yeah, maybe I need to have a POTTY party! I can see the invitations NOW!


Seriously??

No no. I'm just gonna have to wait till she's ready again. 
Let this be a lesson to you...if the kid is telling you she wants to go pee on the potty, let her. 
Who cares if you are late to work or school?
Who cares if bedtime is a bit later?

Patience is key.
I'm 38 and I still haven't learned this lesson.

:)





No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}