Thursday, January 12, 2012

A night of little milestones that I do not want to forget...

Life as a parent is full of milestones...first smile, first word, first time walking, first time riding a bike, first day of school, first boyfriend or girlfriend {thankfully, we haven't experienced that one yet...} and many more.

Tonight, I witnessed one and I want to write it so I remember it always.

Tonight, my oldest got a lesson from me on how to shave her legs. She will probably kick my a$$ if she knows I wrote that, but I don't care. It was a milestone for me. And her. At the same time, in the same bathroom, my youngest found out for the first time the pure joy that comes from lying on her belly and propelling herself from the back of the tub to the front of the tub, splashing every which way and making a supreme mess of the bathroom.

She had such an unbridled smile of joy, there was no way I was going to pull out the whole "Libby, stop it, you are getting water all over the floor."

Tonight, I simply watched her go over and over back and forth back and forth, laughing so wonderfully that I wish I could capture the sound and pull it out at any moment I wished.

But life doesn't work that way, and so I decided to write about it so I would never forget it.

{And because life doesn't always end with a cherry on top, I'll just throw in the fact that the sweet 2-year old who showed unbridled happiness & joy also proceeded to throw the most MARVELOUS of temper tantrums upon being asked to get OUT of the tub. There was NO WAY IN H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEY-STICKS that she was getting out till she was good and READY, and so help me, God, she will get out ON HER OWN and she will NOT need help from the lowly likes of ME!!}

Ahhh, parenthood. Here's to it! :)

No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}