Wednesday, November 16, 2011

We learn by doing, right?

As some of you know, I am currently studying to become a personal trainer. This is something that I have been working on since June, but hit the books hard in October for a test that takes place on {GASP} December 4. 

To say that it is a lot to learn would be the understatement of the year. Wow. My head spins as I read some of it. The shoulder joints and the latissimus dorsi goes into the heart via the vena cava and the exhale on the exertion must match the health history and the pectoralis major is working when you weight management and treating special populations and Vo2 levels mix with triglycerides and how and WHAT THE HE** AM I THINKING??

Ok, so I'm going a wee bit overboard, but some nights, the reading DOES make my head spin. Some of it comes easily...I guess after teaching group fitness classes and working in the fitness industry for 15 years, I've picked up a thing or two. 

Yay me. :) But studying it all is hard work. Harder with kids. Hands down. 

Anyhoo...tonight I joined {what I'm sure is going to be an awesome} personal training group at the club where I work. I am, to put it bluntly, in great need of shocking my system. 

Sure I teach classes. And I get my cardio in...but not like this. No, not like this. 

Tonight, the group began at 6pm. By 6:30pm, and I'm just gonna put this out there, I really, honestly thought I was going to throw up. 

Now how the heck would THAT look if one of the instructors got sick while training? Not so good. No, not so good. 

But I forged on and got over it. Sandbags on the shoulder while running stairs? Yes, please. Please let me do some more. TRX training and sprints again, please? Sure, throw 'em at me. 

It was tough. Tough and humbling. 

Because, as I DO know, our bodies get so very used to what we do every day. But this - well, tonight, this was intense. And hard. And so incredibly rewarding when it was all said and done.

And in addition to being a great catalyst for changing up my routine, being a part of this group will give me insight as to how to be an effective trainer. Natalie is the fearless leader, and she is incredible. Motivating and challenging at the same time. Striving us to jump higher, run faster, squat deeper, while at the same time making sure we're all feeling ok - from the inside out. 

So this is probably one of the best things I can do for myself - for the near term and the long term. Now I'm not sure I'll feel the same in the morning... :)

But, bottom line, if you can try something new, try it. 
If you can take a chance and get out of your comfort zone, take it. 
If you can push yourself to do more than you think, do it.

I have a feeling I'm going to thank myself for it later.
But for now, I'm headed to bed!




2 comments:

Natalie said...

I want you to bookmark this page anytime you are having doubts! You are strong and amazing and I'm so happy you decided to do this for yourself. LOVE YOU :)

Anonymous said...

You rocked it out last night! Let's get ready for next Wednesday! :)

--Christy

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}