Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A fun trip to the dentist...

Today, we made a trip to the dentist. Abby, Keely and Connor needed to get their cleaning check-up.
Connor was less than pleased. 
After all, he had to miss recess and PE as a result. 
And he just got new "fast" running shoes. 
And he couldn't use them. 
He was mad. 
Bad mom = strike 1.

Ahh well. I entered the dentist office, thinking surely we won't be here that long. 
I mean, I see more than one hygienist. 

No such luck. 
Trying to entertain a 5 year old and a 2 year old is a little difficult when your 9 year old insists on sitting in the chairs that clearly are for younger children. 

Well, yes, her brother hit her for sitting there. 
Isn't that what any normal 5 year old boy would do? 

Once that was resolved, apparently it was time to play hide and seek. 
Um. No hide and seek at the dentist office. 
Bad mom = strike 2.

So we opted for hide the duck. One person hides it - in the waiting area - others try to find it. 
It was working well. 
Until Libby crashed into the window.
Then the fun was over. 
That's when I told Connor and Libby they had to SIT on the couch...not BOUNCE on the couch, not hide BEHIND the couch, just SIT on the couch. 
Bad mom = strike 3 and I'm out!

So we nicely placed the legos on the floor. 
WTH?? No we didn't - we THREW the legos all over the floor in the waiting room.
Legos dumped onto a concrete floor = NOT quiet. 

Coloring pages all over the floor, legos being kicked from one end of the room to the other. 
The dentist waiting room quickly began to resemble a war zone. 

You know, much like our home. 

I often wonder what people think when they see me rub my temples, console Libby, reprimand Connor, listen to {another} endless story from Keely and do my best to convince Abby that she is, once again, NOT "going out" with any boy anytime soon AT THE SAME TIME. 

Next time I go, I'm packing a mommy drink and sipping it the whole time. 
And I'm not talking about any Americano. 

The good news? No cavities!! 
Every cloud has a silver lining, right?
I can't wait until April when we do it ALL. AGAIN!

:)

1 comment:

Leeser said...

I entertain and try to keep them quiet, but if they make us wait too long, I figure the more annoying the kids get...the faster they will get us out of there. Dentists and doctors...grrr!

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}