Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The countdown is on ... (and other random thoughts)

So it's August 2. That means, in less than three weeks, 3 of my 4 kids will be in school...full time...as in...not in the home from 8am until 330pm...as in...I won't have to hear "I'm bored. There is nothing to do. Why can't I call a friend over? Why won't {insert name here} leave me alone? I don't want to read a book. Why isn't NSG neighbor girl home? It's too hot to ride a bike. Why do we have to wait for Libby to wake up to go to the pool?"

And on and on and on. 

I love summer. I really do. I get to be a wee bit lazy. No need to GET UP UP UP at 5:30am so I have a moment to myself before the RUSH RUSH RUSH to get to school on time. No worries about "Is your homework done? Have you read today? Are your clothes packed for PE? Is your lunch ready?"

Ok, on that last one, I made it up. I didn't make the kids' lunches last year, are you KIDDING? Who has time? 

{This year, however, I will...or I'll try...I can't promise anything). 

But, as I think about school starting, and the fact that my home will be Q-U-I-E-T all afternoon, I also quickly take myself back to those mornings, Monday through Friday, when the days begin a little like this:

"Time to get up. Make the bed, brush your teeth, please."
"No, you can't eat your waffles in the on the couch. You are getting syrup all over the place. Get in the kitchen."
"No, I don't remember where your homework went. Didn't YOU pack your backpack last night?"
"What do you mean, you are supposed to bring brownies today? I didn't get the memo!"
"Libby, let's try sitting on the potty."

GET up, please. You are wasting time. I'm sorry you are tired. Stop acting like you were asleep at 10pm when I came in to turn off the light I asked you to turn off at 9pm and you may be a little more alert in the morning. Now get up!"
"No, you can't have a play date today. I need more advance notice."
"Where is Libby? Has anyone seen Libby?"
"No, you CANNOT watch more TV. It is time to GO!"
"Libby, stop playing in the potty."

"No, you cannot wear that, Connor. It is 100 degrees. You are not wearing a sweater!"
"Why do you insist on looking for homework 5 minutes before we have to leave? Why wasn't this done last night?"
"Libby, are you DONE on the f*&(*& potty?"

"LAST TIME, GIRLS - GET UP - and GOOD GOD, BRUSH YOUR TEETH!!"
"Libby, where are you?"

Inevitably, too, as we are driving away, probably 5-10 minutes later than we should be in order to pick up the other girl from carpool {which is a completely separate rant due to the stress that BEING ON TIME causes me...I HATE being late}, one of the kids, OF COURSE, insists we go back because {he/she} has forgotten an item I insisted they NOT forget at least a half dozen times. 

(I bet it's Abby who forgets. It usually is. But I guess I shouldn't expect her to remember it. After all, I have only told her a MILLION times, and, well, she is BUSY facetiming friends and doing her hair. She is a tween, after all!)

"No, we aren't going back. We have no time."
{CRYING}: "BUT MOOOOOMMMMMMM! I NEEEEEEEED IT!"


Day after day, Monday through Friday.
Lather. Rinse. Repeat. 
Lather. Rinse. Repeat. 
Lather. Rinse. Repeat. 

Come to think of it, maybe I'm ok with these DOG DAYS OF SUMMER {because it's f*&(*& HOT here} lasting awhile longer. 

I don't know. It's a trade off. But either way, come hell or high water, school's about to begin. I better be ready. Ready to kick em ALL outta the house! :)

Tick tock. Tick tock. Tick tock. 





No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}