Thursday, March 10, 2011

How many kids? I can't keep track...

video

Today, it was a balmy 45 degrees in Lawrence. According to Abby, that's swimsuit weather...or something close to it, as was evidenced by her choice of attire...

Anyway, I had my four kids today and two kids we carpool with during the week. I think that makes 6 kids over here, right? Yeah. Add to it the good neighborhood girl, the not-so-good neighborhood girl, two boys from up the street and well, then I don't know... that's a lot of kids. 

But like I said, it was BALMY out today, so they wanted to play outside. Great, except due to the snow and rain and snow and rain and snow and rain (and you get the picture), our backyard, in places, is a murky, muddy mess. 

And no one loves the murky, muddy mess more than sweet little Libby. Joy. She wasn't too pleased when I told her that I didn't want to go outside, as you can see from the video above. (SIDENOTE - When she cries for Abby, that could mean Abby, Keely or Connor. She refuses to call Keely or Connor by their own name. Drives Keely nuts. Connor couldn't care less). 

Anyway, I don't really want to chase a 1-year-old around in 45 degree-weather as she attempts to climb the ladder (in the mud), go down the slide (in the mud) or attempt to ride a scooter (not in the mud, but close enough). 

Still, she won and we went outside for just a bit. The photos below provide another reason for my lack of enthusiasm about heading into the yard that, for the last five months, hasn't received any personal attention from yours truly.

I mean come on, it's been snowy. And cold. Very, very cold. This provides the perfect reason to neglect the yard. Yeah!


But the time to work on the yard is again approaching. Not sure what message Connor was trying to send me by strangling his monster truck and hanging it from the playhouse, but I don't think I want to know. Notice the plant on the right. Yes, this is in desperate need of a trim. Now. 

   

Oh, but the treasures we find when the snow melts. A sorry-looking hyacinth plant on the left and wow - the pumpkin cookie cutter we were searching for, say, about five months ago! :)
  

And look, here is Libby, peeking into our neighbor's yard, because THEIR yard is much cleaner than ours - without kids, I bet they don't have broken toy strollers, trucks and rackets (of some kind) in their yard. She's probably thinking to herself "Get me the hell outta this place. It's a freakin' dump!"

Well, ok then. Come on in, Libby. AND - below, if you are still reading, you can humor yourself with Libby's reaction to me bringing her INSIDE...oh yeah, there is no scripting this. She is TRULY trying her best to take me out with the plastic rake. Yes, I'm egging her on by filming, but that's my job, right? 

And you people think she's an angel. Whatev!!!
At least I know no one will take her for a ride. Heck no, she'll hold her own and take 'em down!! 
You go, girl!! Make momma proud! (But watch it with the rake, will ya?)


video

1 comment:

Krista said...

rake video = hysterical!!

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}