Tuesday, November 9, 2010

For me, and me alone...

I don't know about you, but I think it's a sign that you may look a little - um - frazzled - if not one, but three people, call you on your phone to see if you are ok after they witness a tantrum compliments of your 4-year old. 

Seems Connor likes an audience, although he would never admit to that. 

Today was just another day, but Connor went from Jeckyl to Hyde (or is it the other way around?) in a matter of seconds. We got the looks - if you're a mom, you know the looks - that come from those who do not have kids, and are wondering what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks happened to the child who a few seconds earlier seemed perfectly normal. 

Then you have to wonder what they think about you...as you try to manipulate a 1-year old in one arm and attempt to carry the 4-year-old out of a building with the other arm, kicking and SCREAMING as if you are putting out his teeth one by one - without anything to numb the pain. 

Deep breath. So what if he throws his backpack in the middle of the parking lot? Who needs it? So what if he kicks the door and tells you at the top of his lungs that he doesn't "even like you and is not going to be your friend - EVER?"

Can someone please hide my face, take me away, or simply come and take him away so I can gather some composure?

But then again, who can blame him? I mean, come on!!! He couldn't find his Hersheys bar and he NEEDED it. He WANTED it. Nevermind that we have about 33 of them left in his Halloween bag at home (that I haven't even touched, thank you very much!!) 

I mean, this kid HAD to have his candy. But alas, he went to school without it. I sure hope he survives a full day of school without his treat. It would be HORRIBLE if, when he came home, all of his candy was gone, wouldn't it? 

As much as I would like to use this as a learning experience, I simply do not know how much reasoning I can do with a 4-year-old. We talked. He calmed down. And proceeded to tell me how much he loves me and spending time with me. 

In fact, as he got out of the car, Hyde had returned, or Jekyl, and he said I was his favorite mommy ever. Hmmm, did I mention this whole fiasco happened within 10 minutes??? HELLLLOOO!!! Cookoo!!

All is well. He is in school for the next three hours and I'm typing this with a stiff drink in hand. 

Ok, not really, but you get the picture. 

And did I mention that when asked, his teacher told me he was a leader in his class. Really? You mean he saves this glorious behavior for me and me alone??

YUP! YOU BETCHA!

No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}