Saturday, October 2, 2010

A needed reminder

I don't think I have to tell anyone how challenged I am by little Mr. Connor. 
Maybe it's because I'm use to girls, but WOW, who took the boy away and left me with the monster?
And I do mean MONSTER. 
If you want to see me lose my cool, ask Connor to come on over. 
If you want to see me nag, and nag, and nag, simply watch me have a conversation with Connor.
I don't mean to nag, but no, it's not ok for you to lie on top of your sister, or throw cars down the stairs, or spit on Abby, or hit me on the face, or scream at your dad, or not finish your dinner, or push your sister over, or take her toy. 

It's just not ok. 
Today, we had volleyball in Kansas City for about 13 hours. Ok, only 4, but you get my drift. I came equipped for three games with lunch (and snacks) for the kids. Ready to watch the first game, Connor starts up. He doesn't want to watch. He wants to go outside. Or run around the court. Or push his sister. Or do anything to make me want to lose my cool. 

We survived and drove 20 minutes to the OTHER school, where Abby was playing. 
While there, after the first game, Connor started coloring with the other kids. 
And out of the blue, he comes up to me to show me his picture. 
"What is it?" I ask him.

"It's God's beautiful creation," he says proudly. 
I am speechless and want to know right there and then what this child in front of me has done with MY child. This surely wasn't Connor.  Then he proceeded to tell me what was in the picture - trees, mountains, birds, and, of course, a tornado (???) Because God's beautiful creation apparently MUST include some kind of destruction. 

Yes, this was, indeed, Connor. 
But at least I got a sweet reminder that deep down, he really is a good little boy. 
And despite what I say about him, I do know that and thank God for him - another beautiful creation. 



No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}