Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My first housecleaning experience


So today, two young women are coming over to the house to "look it over" and talk to me about cleaning it. I've never had someone clean my house. There are parties in our household who think that hiring someone to clean our house is frivolous, unnecessary and unwarranted. I will refrain from mentioning names. 

According to aforementioned person, we should NOT be paying someone to do what WE should be able to do on OUR own. Notice the PLURAL "WE" and "OUR"? 

Hmmm. I find that interesting. 

Still, these two women are coming over to check out our place. Now I'm a pretty neat person, but let's be honest. With 4 kids, things are bound to get overlooked. The bathrooms? Yeah, I clean them, but not as often as I should. The vacuuming? It gets done, but not nearly as much as it's needed. And the stairs. Good Lord, I hate vacuuming stairs. Blinds? Who has time to wipe down blinds?? 

I can barely keep up with the laundry. 

So, I admit it. I'm excited. And I also admit that I have fallen prey to cleaning my house before the housecleaning service does so. Why is that? I think it's because I don't want these women to think I'm so far gone that I can't wipe a counter, pick up toys or dust a front hall table. 

Even though the entire English household is not too keen on the idea of someone cleaning what WE should be able to clean, some of us ARE ready to take advantage of a little break now and then.

I wonder if I can hire a cook too... a nanny for the kids... a gardener... an in-home babysitter??

I may be getting ahead of myself. ;)

1 comment:

Carrie said...

That's AWESOME!! I sent them an e-mail also to see if they can work on my house!!!! :)

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}