Wednesday, May 5, 2010

How the hell my mom, or her mom, or her mom's mom, got along without the Internet and Facebook is WAY beyond me. 

Am I an Internet junkie? I would like to say no, but I cannot tell a lie. I am online a lot. Now, in my defense, some of it is work related. Yes, I tweet and retweet and tweet some more and then update statuses for work quite often, so it isn't ALL about me. But let's be honest, a lot of the time, it is about me, or my kids, or my insanity. Take your pick.

And so what? It is my treat to myself. I don't indulge in dangerous behavior. I don't drink too much, or do drugs, or shop too much (if at all, these days. I'm so much better than years ago. And MAN you can tell that if you take one look in my sad, sad closet of clothes.) No, I don't do much in the way of anything exciting. So when the day is coming to a close, or if, in the middle of the day, I want to share something with millions of people, so what? What is the real harm? 

I know why I do it. Where else can you simply write that you want a new vacuum and receive an abundant number of responses from people with their recommendations? Where else can you pose a question about your child and receive support and ideas from other moms that may help with a particular situation?

I think, what it comes down to, is that despite being a very busy mom to four great kids, and despite the fact that these four kids take me in all different directions, I can have a moment or two of peace when I can share my experiences with others who may be in the same boat. 

It's almost like therapy, only a heck of a lot cheaper. 
Yeah, I like that. Therapy - but a whole lot cheaper. 

No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}