Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The neighborhood hangout...

I consider myself lucky for many, many reasons. Right now, I consider myself lucky because my husband didn't make it home in time for me to go running because of everything else the evening entails (feeding the kids, giving the baths, checking the homework, etc). 

It's a beautiful night to run, but hey, I actually took a shower today and am looking at least 1/2 way decent and hip - and, as unlike me as it is - NOT in workout gear, and I don't want to get all sweaty and tired. 

So, hooray for me - no running tonight. Maybe a nice drink on the porch, grilling dinner and hanging out. NICE.

Another reason I'm lucky? We are the neighborhood hangout. I LOVE this! Kids are over here all the time, no matter the time (which, admittedly, can be p-r-e-t-t-y early with one of the kids), no matter the day. Heck, we have come home only to find kids playing in our backyard - when we arent even here. 

Really? We arent even home - but sure, hang out here!

There is something comforting about the sound of kids happily playing. Connor has found some boys in the neighborhood (FINALLY - that poor kid has been exposed to W-A-Y too many Littlest Pet Shops, Hannah Montana plays and singing concerts). 

I wish I could pinpoint why this makes me so happy - but it does. :) I love that we live in a neighborhood where kids seem to rule...they are everywhere. And all pretty good kids, which makes it all the better. 

It's like free entertainment - no cost involved in telling my kids to go to a friend's house to play. 

Yes, just another thing I'm thankful for. 

Oops - just a minute...

Now I'm thankful that the ball that the 7-year old boy hit didnt crack Connor's head open when it hit him smack dab in the temple. 

Yikes. Ok then, as I was saying...a lot to be thankful for...

One more thought, on that note...boys are A LOT rougher than girls. WOW!!!

No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}