Monday, March 29, 2010

A posting of a different sort...

There were some who said I couldnt do it. Some who said I wouldnt be able to train the right way. Others who thought I was crazy, in a phase, or simply just doing something out of character.

They motivated me. Their doubt pushed me harder.

And then there were others. Others who dont even know they helped. Those like CM, CE, SKD, PW, LV, MS, SO, AS, JH, MR, PC, MC, AC, DF, and Im sure Im forgetting many, who said just the opposite.

"You can do it!'
"You are doing great!"
"Im so proud of you!"
"Way to go!"

They inspired me. They carried me. They made me smile and think, hell yeah, I can do this!

The people who did small, seemingly insignificant things, that have helped me grow to love - really, really love - running. It's almost surreal to me. At first, a short run was about 1-2 miles. Hills were, to be honest, avoided. I would walk, then run, then walk some more. And then my short runs grew a little longer. And my walking time diminished and my running time increased. And then my short runs grew to 3.5-5 miles and running 8 or more was not only doable, but something I willed myself to do. After my best run this weekend and another great one tonight, dare I say it?

I AM PROUD OF MYSELF! :)

This may seem like nothing to some people, but to me, running has been something I have never felt good at. Never was fast enough. Perhaps never thought I looked the part. (Whatever that means!)

I don't know how I will fare in 3.5 short weeks when I run my first half marathon. Thing is, it doesnt matter. I have accomplished something over the last two months. I have listened to my body, and told it to shut up when I have wanted to stop.

I have taken lessons from a dear friend, who overcame HER own obstacles lately as well. If she can do it, I can too. So I guess that's it. I'm amazed at what I have accomplished - because I wanted to - because I needed a new challenge - something completely different for me.

So all you out there who have given me a boost, a kind word of encouragement, a little bit of support, thank you. It is because of you that tonight, when the sun was still up but getting ready to settle for the night, when the spring air was fresh with the glorious smell of freshly cut grass, when kids were outside playing (finally) after a long, harsh winter, that I felt alive and oh so very happy as I ran...one foot in front of the other. All the cares away, no stress of the day, no kids crying, no everyday tasks to worry about.

Why the heck did I wait so long to take THIS up?

3 comments:

maura said...

woohooo! way to go, sistah! you are an inspiration!! i'm proud of you, not only for what you've accomplished in running but for doing something for you, simply because you wanted to. :) yay!

Tracey English said...

Thanks, Maura. You are one of those special people who made me think that I really COULD do it. So thank YOU!! :)

Carrie said...

YEA!!! I am soooooo proud of you and sooooo happy that you caught the "running fever"!!! Wait until after your first road race...you think you are hooked now! HA!!! You look amazing, and I can't believe that you have already run 8 miles!!! That's amazing!!! YOU GO GIRL!! (P.S. Had tears in my eyes while reading your post.....)

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}