Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sweet Moments

Tonight we had a fun evening at home. I am a homebody, through and through. Nothing, to me, beats a night with the kids and Chris, no place to be, enjoying one another. It was perfect. 

Then it was time for bed. Libby went down first. Simple as can be, sweet girl that she is. 

Then it was Connor's turn. As of late, Chris has been putting him to sleep because I'm either feeding Libby or putting her to bed, or helping Abby with her homework.

Not tonight. I put him to bed tonight, and after one book, we took some time to "talk about our day." Connor loves doing that. 

Then, I proceeded to recite the book "I love you forever." Connor loves that book. And I know it by heart. Every time I sang the song, he smiled.

I'll love you forever. 
I'll like you for always. 
As long as I'm living
My baby you'll be.

I recited the whole story, watching his eyes get the slightest bit heavier each time I sang the song. The smile getting a little less pronounced as he drifted off to sleep. 

Then I watched him sleep. 
And then I prayed to God because He has blessed me beyond words with four beautiful children. 
Children who seem to be growing up so fast. 

It was a wonderful night at home and a wonderful moment with Connor - my spirited, off-the-wall 4 year old who doesn't often slow down. 

A night to cherish always. :)


3 comments:

maura said...

sweet boy! it was so cute the way he was with me - and Jake - the weekend we watched the kiddos recently. he doesn't even remember waking us in the middle of the night. it melted my heart. what a wonderful little book/song, too. i can see why he loves it :) xo

Anonymous said...

I love that book and read it to my girls even though it's a boy in the story. Use your imagination I have said to my older one. :-) Anyway - I was reading it to Eliza just last week and she started crying because she doesn't want to grow up and move out. Awww... :-)
~Amy

Elisa B said...

Oh, I needed to read this! Sometimes I get so frustrated with these little boys with so much energy! What a blessing it is to be a mommy ...

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}