Friday, January 22, 2010

"Take the cars off of your sister's face NOW!"


Sometimes, moms say things that, when heard out of context, would make absolutely NO sense to any normal person. Take, for instance, what I said to Connor this morning, as he was strategically placing Matchbox cars around - and on - Libby.

Yes, my comment was exactly - "Take the cars off of your sister's face NOW!"
Seems like a perfectly normal thing to say to me.

Tonight, at McDonalds (yes, we went to McDonalds for dinner, so what? I was tired and Chris was a little under the weather, so it seemed like the perfect plan), another seemingly normal thing to say was: "No, the straw does not belong up your nose and PLEASE stop licking the floor!"
Pretty normal stuff, right?

I was talking to a friend this morning and she is the one who called my attention to the fact that my statement about the cars was, in fact, NOT normal conversation and that moms could probably write a BOOK of quotes about things that would make no sense to the normal, every day individual. Her comment from today with her daughter would be something like this: "No, the kitchen floor does not like to be peed on."

Ahh, nice. So, think, if you will, about some of the things you may say to your kids that, to the person on the 'outside' would make no sense. And then tell me about them. We could be onto something here...who knows, we may create one of the funniest books ever! :) I look forward to reading some of your best...

That's all for now. It's time to get the kids ready for bed - that's ALWAYS a good place for some good quotes...but hey, I didn't even have to get up and Chris just said this to Connor: "Hey, buddy, you can't sit on her."

Um, duh!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did have to tell Jonah today "even when you are pretending to be a dog, it is NOT okay to lick the rug" and then repeat my instructions twice before he would quit. Sigh. = )From Elisa

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}