Sunday, December 20, 2009


So, it started out ok. Sure, I'm somewhat neurotic when it comes to doing certain things, but I thought I could handle the SIMPLE & FAST do-it-yourself gingerbread house. I mean, how hard and messy could it be? And OF COURSE, I could let the kids do it as they like without trying to DO IT MYSELF.
(Who am I kidding? Before I began, I asked Chris if it would be bad if I just did the darn thing alone.) No, it would not be ok.

So we forged on...

Now, according to the directions, we were supposed to let the house sit for 15 minutes before we began decorating. OK - we did that, give or take a few minutes.
I started to get anxious.
"OK kids, you dont have to get sugar ALL OVER THE FLOOR.
Dont press so hard on the roof.
No, you cant place the small red and green dots on the roof - can't you see that you have already begun another pattern with the LARGE red and green dots?
No, dont make the snow red. Snow isnt red.
The tree is tipping, we have to fix the tree.
GOOD GOD this floor is a mess."

{{{{SIGH}}}}


OK, so after the roof broke (yes it broke, maybe we should have waited the full 15 minutes before decorating), and after I annoyingly told my three very sad kids that the house was ruined and the kitchen was a mess, I took a breather.

I mean, come on, this is SUPPOSED TO BE FUN, RIGHT? FOR PETE SAKES, I CAN MAKE A DAMN GINGERBREAD HOUSE, CANT I? OF COURSE I CAN. MESS AND ALL. I CAN DO THIS!

{{{Deep breath}}}

OK, kids, come on back.
I have improvised and changed the house so that the broken roof is now the new roof.
"No, dont worry about the sprinkles all over the floor.
You can do whatever you want. Its all up to you."

{{{Another deep breath, and I walked away.}}}

Their masterpiece (and now our table centerpiece)


Three very proud kids. :) Well worth it, but now I must run. The kitchen is ATROCIOUS and I MUST CLEAN IT NOW!!!

Merry Christmas! :)

No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}