Monday, November 16, 2009

They are reserved for expectant or new moms for a reason...

We had our first snow of the season today. Big, flaky snowflakes coming down at one point. Then it turned to yucky ice spitting. This, of course, happened as I embarked upon the grocery store to pick up some ingredients for dinner.

Why do I do this to myself?

There I am, with Libby and Connor in the car, happily going to the only grocery store in Lawrence that reserves spots for expectant or new moms. Libby is only 8 weeks - I still qualify!

So, I pull into the parking lot and in the RESERVED spot is a woman - a very unkempt, disshoveled woman who - mind you - has NO baby in her arms, no baby in her cart and no baby in her car for that matter. No, she was simply taking up a space.

She was loading up her car, so I decide to make a circle and come back. Surely, she will end her conversation on her cell phone, get IN her car that shouldnt be parked there  -  AND LEAVE, right?

Nope. Mind you, 30 degree weather, two kids, spitting rain and SOMEONE IS IN MY SPOT! SOMEONE WHO HAS NO BUSINESS BEING IN THAT SPOT.

She continued to talk on her cell phone, completely oblivious to others who may - I dont know - actually NEED that spot. Whatever. I'll park somewhere else.

So I did. Picked up the 500-lb baby carrier and took it (and the baby) and Connor into the store.

"Mom, can we get a cart that looks like a car?"
"No, Connor, the baby carrier won't fit in them." (which, by the way, is VERY frustrating).


Before I could even respond to Connor, he was on the floor, blocking the door, throwing a fit.
Can someone hide me please?
So I left him. Proceeded to use a normal cart and began to walk away.

He followed. He calmed down, we got a few groceries and went then proceeded to wait in line behind 60 people to pay for them - ok, maybe it was more like 6, but when your kids are crying, it feels like 60 people.

Come on, HyVee, there are like 20 check out lanes and about 30 people on staff simply rearranging flowers in your floral shop. Can't you see that we need to open another lane (or two or three) before my 8-week old pops a blood vessel in the eye from crying and before my 3-year old pisses everyone off because he isn't minding me? Instead he is running in and out of the check out lanes in search of candy. Candy that I told him he could NOT have.

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, was my experience at the grocery store today. And sometimes Chris wonders why I find shopping alone relaxing. 

I'm tired just WRITING about my experience today. Good night.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh, NOTHING gets my blood boiling more than when this happens to me (not the weather...the parking spot). And, it always seems as if it's a WOMAN who parks in the spot to block the MOTHER'S that need in the store. Shouldn't an overwhelming amount of guilt come over any woman who tries to use the spot illegally? I'm totally with you on this one Trace.

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}