Sunday, October 11, 2009

Such a typical female thought...


So Libby is three weeks old. And yes, I know I shouldn't expect to wear my size 8 pants yet, but I do. I mean, come on, three weeks...I think that's enough time. Granted, I haven't come back to teaching yet - that begins next week - but I have been working out and don't I deserve a quick "recovery" time? After all, shouldn't four kids count for something?

So I'm at the gym last week and people are very nice - "Libby is beautiful...you look great..." you know. I appreciate all the kind words.

I especially liked it when Abby said to me this morning, "Oh, now I remember what you look like skinny!" WOW - Thanks Abby! :)

Anyway - last week the comment that sticks with me is this one: "You don't even look like you had a baby!" Now, on the surface, this is most definitely a compliment, and I realize the person who said it to me meant it as such.

But seeing as I'm a woman, here is my thought process..."What? Does she think I looked like this before the baby??"

Yes, that's what I thought. Like, wow, she must think I looked this way before Libby was born, and that must mean I have  A LOT OF work to do to get back to the way I want to look.

{SIGH} So sad. Can't I just take it as a compliment?

Nope. But I will take Abby's comment as such. After all, she IS nine years old and KNOWS EVERYTHING!  :)

No comments:

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}