Thursday, October 8, 2009

The power of a baby...


Despite my inner voice telling me I should go to the gym this morning...and this voice was practically YELLING at me to get myself up there, I decided to stay home with Libby after I took all the other kids to school.

I had no plans, unless you consider lying down on the couch with a sweet baby in my arms "plans" because that was my only intention this morning.

The time I will have to do this with Libby is limited - with three kids and the gym calling me back, in addition to "LIFE" - groceries, dishwashers, laundry, bills, etc - it is next to impossible to carve out time simply for me and her.

But oh so important.

I dropped the kids off and came home...started a load of laundry, checked email, straightened the house and then heard her sweet cry - as if to say, "Hello, MOM, weren't you going to spend the morning with me?"

Computer was turned off. Laundry still sits in the dryer. Dishes could wait.

I picked up this sweet little girl who is going to grow up way too fast, I held her, hugged her, snuggled her close, fed her and then simply watched her sleep.

A beautiful morning. One I wish I could capture and hold onto forever. Even when the laundry, the gym, the dishes, the volleyball games, the other obligations, call me so loudly.

The power of a baby. I was in heaven.

3 comments:

maura said...

so sweet :) i'm glad you did that - for you AND for her. she's such a cute little button :)

maura said...

p.s. i caught this tweet form Heather Armstrong (dooce.com) today:

Happiness: Your kids in bed with you.
Hell: Both of them awake at the same time.

if you haven't read her blog, you should check it out.

Anonymous said...

So true...
~Amy

Tracey's bookshelf: read

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
My Sister's Keeper
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Handle with Care
House Rules
More Than It Hurts You
Amy and Isabelle
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Widow for One Year
The 158-Pound Marriage
To the Lighthouse
Between the Acts
A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas
The Help


Tracey English's favorite books »
}